1. Thindi Akki (rice)/ Dose Akki/ Halli Akki/ Kempakki (brown rice): which is not polished : 1 and 1/2 kg
2. Unde Bella or Jagerry Ball : 1 and 1/2 Kg
3. Half glass water
4. White Thil 1 table spoon
5. Oil to fry
Step by step procedure to make Kajjaya or athirasam
- Wash Rice twice with clean water and soak in water for 3- 5 hours.
- After 5 hours drain all water from the rice and dry it with a dry cloth if water still remains.
- Now grind the rice to a fine powder. The rice flour to make kajjaya is now ready.
- Now take jaggery in a vessel and add half a glass of water (don’t add too much water), and heat till all jaggery dissolves and becomes paaka as shown. (see full video to know how to get paaka).
- Once the jaggery is come to a proper consistency (paaka) add rice flour and keep stirring and mix well under low flame.
- All the rice flour should completely mix with jaggery. Pop up if any rice bobbles are there.
- And heat the mixture for some time and turn off the flame.
- And rest the mixture overnight. Now the batter is ready to make kajjayas.
- Make kajjayas as shown and deep fry in oil till it becomes golden brown.
- Squeeze the excess oil and serve them on to the serving plate.
Hint: Dont use polished rice and use jaggery depending on sweet you require, if you want less sweet then used 100 gms less jaggery.
Hint 2: If you are going to a mill to grind the rice then, just drain the water from the rice and powder it. The mill person will drain if any water is remaining. If you are grinding the soaked rice in a mixer at home then drain all the water and dry in a shaded area for 1-2 hours.
Yummy hot kajjayas are ready to eat and serve.
Wish all the viewers a very very happy and safe Deepavali !!!
from Mallamma Ajji and Team